Monday, October 27, 2008

Peace, Love, and Happiness

It was said by Ambrose Redmoon “courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” This is a prime example of how someone can take their hope and turn it into their strength. There are over 600,000 homeless people in America who are wishing and hoping for a better life not only for themselves, but for their children too. Now, I can’t speak for all of the homeless people, but from many documentaries I have watched, the mothers have been left with the children. The mothers want their children to grow up, get an education, and work for a decent living. Since the mothers hope for this, they will attempt to make a new beginning for their lives. Because of their hope for their children, the mothers are not only making their lives better, but their children’s too. Their lives become better because it forces the mother to work harder and fight for what she hopes for.
Hope isn’t always sunshine, it can be full of rain too. Hope can mislead you. Leonardo da Vinci once said, “Blinding ignorance does mislead us.” This is very true. People can get so caught up in a situation and bad effects happen. A good example of this is when people want world peace badly. They hope that they will be able to achieve peace without resorting to violence. I haven’t done much research, but from my perspective what it comes down to is we basically expect people to drop their beliefs and positions in life and follow one common belief. But there will always be that one person that doesn’t think peace can be achieved without violence. I personally don’t believe in war, but I think there are certain exceptions. I truly believe that we can have peace without resorting to violence, but there are other occasions where war is necessary to maintain peace. I think this war we are in now is necessary because if we weren’t in Afghanistan fighting for our freedom, America would be getting trampled on even more. We would look like a weak country.
All in all, I believe there is more strength in hope than there is misguidance. With hope, people can get through the toughest of situations. When I was in the fifth grade, my grandpa passed away. He had been in the hospital for many weeks and was on a ventilator. I felt in my gut that he was getting ready to pass. I called him up from school and told him that I loved him and how I hoped heaven was going to be a better place for him. I feel that my grandpa felt my hope for him and realized that we love him and will keep him in our hearts forever. Lao Tzu said, “being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”

No comments: