Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Rights

I am a daughter, a friend, and an athlete. I am 15 years old and I believe that I should have the basic rights as most people do, but right now, I am living life like most 15 year olds. I am not worrying about being older and having to take on adult responsibilities because I am having fun.
Being a daughter, I believe I have the right to take responsibility for my own actions and gain the respect from my parents for being responsible. I am a friend. I believe I have the right to gain the trust from friends by being loyal. Lastly, I am an athlete. I am a volleyball player. My rights as a player are to be treated equal on the floor.
Generally, I feel that my rights are being respected, but there are some cases in which I feel they are being violated. Sometimes, adults don’t give you the chance to speak your mind because you are younger. I feel that this is unfair because, whether they like your opinion or not, it is worth saying. What gets me most though, is adults were kids once. Shouldn’t they know what it felt like to be looked over because they weren’t an adult?
It has not happened to me, but I have noticed that people can gain the trust from their friends and then the next second the friend starts talking about them behind their back. How unjust is this? Your rights are being violated because you think you can trust someone and then they turn on you.
In some ways, I feel that my rights as an athlete have been violated in the past. My past coach viewed me as a weakling and looked over me. Whenever he did give me the time, all he did was criticize me. I did nothing wrong in practice. I never back-talked him, I never goofed around, and I always did what he told me to do. I believe I have the right to obtain respect from the coach.
All in all, I think my rights as a daughter, friend, and athlete are being respected. I have great parents who always want to hear my opinion, I have great friends who I completely trust and will always have my back, and I have team who believes that “there is no ‘i’ in team.”

No comments: